Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Missionaries, Anthropologists, and Skunks

I'm sorry! I have been really busy and have gotten behind in my postings! So I apologize that this is a random sampling of some things that have happen in the last two weeks or so...some serious stuff first and then a few funny stories and then some prayer requests...

A few weeks ago we had a special "mapping ceremony" where we got to place our pictures on this giant map of the world in the Global Center. It was a really special time to look at the world and see all the places to which we are being sent out and marvel in anticipation of the awesome things that God is going to do through the 200ish people going through FPO (Field Personnel Orientation) right now. This is a picture of Kelly and me in Botswana.



This past week has been devoted to the idea of "who they are." We have been studying about anthropology and worldview. Being an anthropology major in college, I was really excited to again be taking classes on culture, but these classes forced me to look at culture in a different way. For example, I took a class on tribal religions and we were given scenarios to read and decide what we should do. My scenario was about a young national pastor who was getting married and before you were to perform the ceremony a bull was sacrificed to the ancestors. We were to talk about what would be an appropriate Christian way to respond to these rituals. I had to think a long time about what I would do because the anthropologist in me would be all about some participant observation: to have a notebook out and be writing a detailed description of the ritual to later analyze, along with my other fieldnotes and transcriptions from interviews with other participants. I always thought I had a good handle on integrating my faith and my studies, but I am learning that there are many issues dealing with ministering to another culture that I hadn't thought about.

Now something completely unrelated. Have you ever seen a "gourmet Arby's"? It's like normal Arby's but also has a salad bar, a burrito bar, all kinds of roasted chicken dishes, and vegetables. Plus you sit at a table and they bring your food to you! We have been to the Arby's a few times and this is me eating a fajita there. (Check out my nose piercing. I don't really think you can see it, but it's awesome!)

Being a Journeyman at the MLC is way fun because there is always something to do...it's almost like being in college again, but out in the middle of a cow pasture. We have taken to playing charades. You try acting out Jumanji, The Origin of Species, or The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (my favorite guess for this one was "the relationship between him and her pants"?!) This is me taking my turn acting something out. Anyways, we had finished up playing last weekend and I was leaving to go back to my quad around 12:30. I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden I come upon a real live skunk sitting right in the middle of the path!! He lifts his tail up and I scream, thinking "surely I am going to be sprayed!" That stinkin' skunk chased me all the way down that path. I looked ridiculous running from this striped critter. Finally he turned around and let me go on home but my heart was beating so fast and I couldn't stop laughing to myself. I wish someone had been with me.

Here are some specific ways that you can pray for me right now:

-Pray that God would continue to prepare a place for Kelly and I to serve in Botswana and that God would continue to give us patience as we wait to hear where we are going

-Pray for safe travels and happy holidays as Kelly, "C", and I go to Northern Virginia for Thanksgiving with my family

-Continue to pray that I would be able to absorb as much information as possible from our classes at MLC

-Pray for energy for me. Last week we had shots and I got sick from the yellow fever immunization. Since then I haven't had that much energy and last night I had a fever again.

Thanks to all you who have have written! It means a lot to me! Keep the mail coming!

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger Casey said...

That bad mamajama almost got me too. I think I've found his little 'home'. Needless to say I won't be visiting it.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey!
I enjoy hearing about what you are learning - your time in training is SO valuable.. as there has been many cultural lessons I've had to learn "the hardway" - and many more I have to learn, especially how being a missionary makes my role in here in Ceiba different.
Happy Thanksgiving, Em! I hope you had a good time at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home